Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sweet Husband

So I had a conversation with my sister and one of our YSA's on Sunday about couples that we would love to be like someday. We realized that we are all secretly jealous of those ladies who have husbands who refer to them as "my Sweet Wife", and who call them things like Sweetheart, My Love, Dear, Sugar-Pie, Honey-Bun, etc. etc. We are also jealous of those same ladies who's husbands don't mind a good "in public" cuddle, and who's husbands reach for their wife's hand to hold for no other reason than that he likes the warmth of her hand in his.
I am in no way resentful of my hubbie, who does, nearly always refer to me as "Babe." And I love that. If I ever hear him call me Cumorah - it's generally because something is wrong, or I'm down in the basement and I haven't heard him calling for Babe the last three times.
He is, however, not a hand-holder, or publicly affectionate ...which truthfully, were never things that made the several Qualities I want in a Husband lists that I slaved over as a Laurel. In the grand scheme of all the things that are WONDERFUL about him, I know I am a lucky, lucky woman and shouldn't wish for more. But of course...that's human nature right. Give me MORE!!!
So here comes the experiment. I decided during this conversation with Lia and Ashley, that from here on out - when I talk to people about Dan - I will refer to him as "My Sweet Husband" - and I will reach for his hand, and I will give him a good cuddle in public...and I will love it. He may not love it quite as much as me...but at least he will know that I adore him - at all times - even when we're not in the comfort of our own home. And maybe, just maybe, those things will rub off on him, and there will come a day when people will look at us, that cute little grey-haired couple , holding hands as they amble down the hall at church (or along the beach), and wish that they could someday have a relationship like that.

2 comments:

Cristi said...

I think it will rub off on him. Alan has slowly become more like me in little ways!

BIG BOY BIG KID said...

really sweet.....age should make all more wiser and romantic...