Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Crossing it off the list

Have you ever purused craft fairs or spent hours sifting through all the wonderfully creative products on etsy, just to decide... I can totally make that myself for 1/4 of the price...and then never, ever get around to actually making anything?
Welcome to my life.
I like to think I'm crafty. Artistic even, on a good day. But I am not a seamstress. True, I whipped up a few outfits for myself on Granny's sewing machine in college, but that was more out of necessity than desire.
Besides a little skirt I crafted for Bella as a newborn out of discontinued fabric sample scraps from my store, I haven't sewn a clothing item for at least 11 years.
However, whenever I see adorable, overpriced hand-crafted outfits at boutiques or online, I convince myself that I really probably could make it instead.
It's never really happened, but, yesterday... yesterday was my day.
Somewhere between 3:00 and 5:00 am, I realized it was going to be a no errands, no volunteering, stay at home, and let the baby and myself get better day. I wasn't sick enough to need to lay in bed all day, but wasn't feel up to leaving the house...so I got to looking at my lengthy, dreamy "if I ever have a spare minute" to-do list. {I am kind of a fan of lists. I have lots of them}.
And on this list, was Bella's request from nine months ago that I make her a skirt. The girl has plenty of skirts. She wears them often. Why she wanted me to MAKE her one, I wasn't quite sure. But, it was on the list, and I had fabric, time, and a sewing machine I got for Christmas last year that had never made it out of the box. It was a perfect combination.
I decided that I didn't want to mess with elastic, and I can't stand zippers and buttons, so a skirt was out of the question.
Luckily, I have spent enough time on etsy recently, that I have fallen in love with the pillowcase dress.
So simple. No pattern. No instructions. {Which is great for me, because I can't follow a pattern for the life of me.} Just a ruler, some scissors, an iron, time, and some thread, and voila! Look what happened!

Look at that sweet flower stitch. Oh, I am in love with this sewing machine. I might actually have to use it more than it's averaged once a year now!

She was thrilled to come home to a fun little surprise. {luckily, she didn't mind a bit that it wasn't actually a skirt.}

I should be sewing one for Azure right now...but sewing two days in a row? Whew! I don't know if I have it in me!

3 comments:

ang said...

wow that is so cute! way to go!!

Rachel. said...

I love it. Especially the bow. Bella is a lucky girl.

每当遇见你 said...

Here’s a list of tools you will need to start: Jewelers’pandora jewellery wire cutters - If you can only afford one pair, get memory wire shears. pandora charms These are designed to make clean cuts on tough memory wire, so can also be used for pandora charms uk softer wires. Chain-nose pliers sometimes called cheap pandora charms needle-nose pliers – Very versatile for picking up and grasping small items, pandora charms sale bending eye pins, closing jumps rings, even closing crimp beads. discount pandora charms Round-nose pliers – Used for creating loops on beaded head and eye pins. Can also be used for winding your own jump rings and as the second pliers you’cheap pandora ll need for closing jump rings. Optional pliers – Wire-looping pliers which have several graduated circumferences to allow you to form perfectly uniform jump rings and loops in place of the pandora discount uk round-nose pliers mentioned above. Crimping pliers which have little notches to allow you to both flatten a crimp bead and then bend it to form a rounded finished look instead of the flat crimp you pandora uk get using the chain-nose pliers. As for materials, I recommend some assortment packs of beads in coordinating colors, some decorative metal spacers, seed beads in both silver and gold These can serve as spacers and beautifully set off pandora sale your other beads., tube-shaped crimp beads Buy the best you can find – these are what hold it all together!, head and eye pins. Other than that, let your choice of project be your guide. You might want some silver or pewter charms.