Monday, February 22, 2010

Comfort Food

There is a lengthy list of meals that I LOVE to make and eat that my sweet husband is just not a fan of.
It includes, but is not limited to:


Hawaiian Haystacks
Grilled Pork with Fruit Salsa
Chicken Pot Pie (especially if it has peas.)
Breakfast for Dinner
Any Casserole (Yes, ANY casserole, but he's particularly un-fond of the Tuna variety)
Spaghetti
Most Pasta Dishes - unless it's from Macaroni Grill
Soup (He says it's not a meal - ok as a side, but not a main dish)
Pretty much anything made in the crockpot
Steak Cosmopolitan (I've never actually made this, but he's still not a fan.)

And as of last night, there's a new one to add to the list:

Chicken with Gravy over Mashed Potatoes
I lovingly, tenderly, with all my sweet motherly soul, and a wink and a smile, put this meal on the table last night for Sunday dinner complete with homemade breadsticks, corn, and Celestial Cake for dessert.
D: What is this? Shepherd's Pie or something?
Me: No...it's chicken and gravy with mashed potatoes.
D: Hmm.
Me: You're telling me you've never had this before?
D: No, not as a main dish. What, did you just make it up? Or did you use a recipe?
Me: I used to get this as a little girl for hot lunch (which I only ever got once a month so it was a BIG deal) and I really, really liked it. I thought the kids might like it too.
D: Hmm.

Well, the kids did like it. They scarfed it down. As for Dan, well, it gets added to THE LIST.

If you're husband is not as picky as mine, and you like EASY TO MAKE comfort food, try it!

Four Small (or three large) Frozen Boneless Chicken Breasts
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Cup Strong Chicken Broth (I used two buillion cubes to 1 cup water)
1 Packet Golden Onion Soup mix

Put the chicken in the bottom of the crockpot, put other ingredients over top. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken. Mix it up with the soups. Serve over creamy mashed potatoes. (I use Yukon Gold potatoes). Enjoy!

7 comments:

The Goulds said...

that sound so yummy. I am going to have to try that one!

Valeri said...

I can empathize. Neil will eat anything because that's what he was raised to do, but there are few things he really LOVES. We especially have a hard time agreeing on restaurants. He doesn't like restaurant Italian (seriously?), which is usually my preference. It's crazy how someone can love a food so much, while another person dry heaves at the thought of having to eat it!

That chicken and gravy looks good. I'll have to try it out. And speaking of recipes, I started a recipe exchange (similar to Oakwood Ward's). Last month we brought up 20 pages worth of crock pot recipes. Dan probably wouldn't be too thrilled, but you might! :) Let me know if you'd like to be a part of it!

Saquel25 said...

My sympathies are with you. I would go CRAZY if Gary was picky. I'm definitely going to try your recipe. And speaking of things you cook. We all LOVED the meal you brought round after Oliver was born. Particularly adored was the bread and the jam which lasted all of 5 seconds. I'm lucky to have a friend like you!

Jen and Kent said...

I still can't get over the pasta thing...it's shocking! Ü You are one fabulous cook!

Melissa said...

sounds yummy! you are an awesome cook...dan is missing out! :)

Robin said...

Poor Dan! He is missing so much good stuff! I bet he would rather have salad and fruit, right?

Kelly said...

Cumorah, I had to laugh out loud to that one. All I can say is that I can relate all to well.
I love reading your blog. Keep them coming. I miss you!