Monday, July 12, 2010

Soaring Sacrament


In all of my years of attending church every Sunday, I don't believe I have ever witnessed a Sacrament tray go down...that is, of course, until yesterday. Azure was walking the tray full of bread down the row to me {we were sitting on the very back row, so it was full to the brim}. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.
It seemed to happen in slow motion though. Azure held out the tray just beyond my reach, turned her head to look at something, and let go. I was holding Emmett, or I'm certain I would have leapt from my chair, diving heroically to save the blessed bread. Alas, that's not how this story ends.
The tray crashed to the ground, spilling the sacrament all over the gym floor, the boy in front of us, and in my church bag. The little deacon whisked up the empty tray and was off. I gathered up the bread and wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I'm sure I should have thrown it out, but didn't see a trash can nearby, and since Emmett was squealing for me to give him some, and he hadn't really eaten lunch before we came, and I didn't feel like fighting him since I was there with the kids by myself...my sweet little baby got an extra helping {or rather, 30 extra helpings} of spirituality.

6 comments:

Diana said...

Oh dear. I'm sure you aren't the first this has happened to, though I haven't seen it happen either. At least it was the bread and not the water? :) I hope you aren't embarrassed! You're among friends at church.

runningfan said...

Pardon me for laughing from afar....

Berly said...

Oh my - I am sure this will happen to me one day. I was thinking the same thing as Diana - Nicole almost spills the water tray every Sunday. She is getting alot better because she is concentrating very hard...

Unknown said...

oh my gosh Comorah...what doesn't happen to you?!?!? u always have the best stories :)

Becki Madsen said...

Ughhhh! I am terrified of this happening to me too and I am sure it will happen sooner or later! Glad you survived though!

Julie said...

Loved reading all of your posts! You've got such a beautiful, wonderful family! I love the new family picture on the top of your blog.