Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A quick roll update

So my friend Kim took pity on me and my true lack of roll making skills. She invited me over a couple weeks ago to watch the Kim Lovejoy cooking show. It was awesome. I had a front row seat. She gave me some great tips on how to make sure your yeast is activated (I love the adding a bit of sugar trick) and on where to let your dough rise (in the oven that has been heated to 170 degrees for 2 minutes and then turned off)...and I am proud to report, that it's been working! I also have to give props to Jen's Bosch, which she is letting me use at the moment --- it's made all the difference.
Dan will tell you that my rolls don't taste EXACTLY like his mom's, but they're way, way, closer than the rocks I've thrown on the table before.
Thank you Kim (you really could give Rachel Ray a run for her money) & Jen (and Robin too, I still need to try your recipe - but it looks great!)
PS - I realize that many of you will read this and think, "how could she not know those things?". And I will tell you - before my experience with Kim, I had zero, and I mean zero experience actually baking rolls/bread with anyone that knew what they were doing, and I didn't take the time to research it on my own. Sometimes it's the little things that hold us back, and in my case...it seems that it really was two very little things!

2 comments:

ang said...

i'll have to try the 170 degrees trick!

Jen and Kent said...

See, it wasn't you but your equipment(or lack of) that couldn't make good rolls. Glad to hear they are turning out better!